Friday, November 9, 2007

in defense of knitting

Yeah, Hubby's home! After 16 straight days of work, he has a four-day weekend! AND Saturday we're finally going out for our anniversary (which was October 2; better late than never, right?). Woo-hoo!

Magic Baby was super excited that Daddy was home all day. He totally didn't want me around, and as evil as it sounds, I didn't let it bother me. Instead I...

1) slept in... until almost 9! (They went out to breakfast.)

2) took a nap when MB (and Hubby) did. (Hey, story hour at the library takes a lot out of me, too.)

3) went to Jen's house to knit while Hubby put MB to bed. (We had planned that days ago.)

Let me tell you, today was wonderful. I am truly blessed to have such a great husband.


While I'm on the topic of my husband, I need to tell the blogosphere that he's not exactly fond of you. See, last night when he went to bed, I allegedly said I would be up soon so Hubby turned of the baby monitor in the computer room (unbeknownst to me). Then... I got a little sidetracked by Jen... and Mad, Mad Housewife... and Amy ... and The Yarn Harlot, and you get the picture. Anyway, I guess Magic Baby woke up and because the monitor was off (which again, I didn't know), I didn't hear him and Hubby had to get up with him. Normally, this wouldn't have been a big deal, but I guess Hubby was a little upset because he says I said I'd be to bed soon, and here I was still reading blogs. (In my defense, I have no recollection of ever saying I was going to bed ever, let alone soon.) Apparently he thinks I've become obsessed. (Who out there blames me, really? Those blogs are just hilarious, and I have so many to read to catch up with everyone else!)


I guess he thinks this is a much better way to spend your free time:

(Hubby's in the red bandanna and the Resident Evil t-shirt, my dad's the one in the foreground, Jen's brother is the shadowy one on the right, and Hubby's friend can sort of be seen to Hubby's left. They are in what Hubby calls "The Dungeon" and what most people call "the basement." I'm not making that up.)

That is a picture of my husband playing Dungeons & Dragons this evening. He is "The Dungeon Master" which means he writes all of the adventures and stuff. It also means that he owns a lot of books, as shown here:

and here:

All of this serves as proof of two things. First, my husband is a dork. Second, he really can't complain about my knitting and blogging hobbies since his "stash" is waaaaay bigger than mine, and D&D takes up at least as much time as blogging. By the way, did you see all those books?! There's no way I'll ever have that many skeins of yarn (although this is an admirable goal which I am certainly trying my hardest to achieve). Care to know how much all those books cost? Let's just say cashmere. Lots and lots of cashmere. And that's not even taking into account the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of magazines he has. I only have, like, three knitting magazines at the moment! Hubby's argument is that he has accumulated his stash over about two decades and I've only been knitting for a year. Somehow he thinks this means I should have fewer skeins than he has books. (Yeah, I don't get logic that either.) Clearly, he has not heard the rumors (from no less a reliable source than The Yarn Harlot) of an impending wool shortage. Ha! The joke's on him, though, for when the Woolen Apocalypse comes, I'll be ready. And maybe, if he's good and promises to let me sleep through the commotion, I'll knit something nice for him.