Saturday, March 8, 2008

knitting (and family) update

Thanks a ton for all the good wishes you've all sent! Magic Baby is doing fine; he figured out how to climb on the couch with the cast today, he has decided it's cool to drive his Hot Wheels cars on the cast, and he told me the day after he got said cast that he likes the noise it makes when he hits it against the wall.


So, um, things are pretty much back to normal here. Except that Hubby and are have become slightly paranoid. Before this, it never bothered either of us that Magic Baby had a tendency to fall a lot, but now every time he stumbles our hearts are in our throats. I think this is why I've been so tired all week. The constant worry is getting to me, and I've tried to let some of it go, but it's really hard to do that with the lovely cast as a constant reminder. Also, I haven't really left Magic Baby alone at all. Not that I would leave him for long periods of time or anything (although there was that one time I did the marketing while he played in the kitchen. He was fine, though- and let me tell you that kid makes a mean souffle if you give him time). But before I at least felt comfortable using the bathroom or checking my blog while he was occupied in the living room. Now I'm convinced that the second I turn my back he's going to catapult himself off the furniture again. (My question is: Am I too paranoid now, or was I too lax then?) What this means is I've put him in his crib every time I've had too pee. Also, in case you haven't noticed, I've let my blogging slip. Every night I promised myself I'd get to the comments you all so nicely posted, and then every night Magic Baby would fight about falling asleep, and I'd pass out right after he did- around 10 or so. Basically, this is my long-winded way of apologizing for neglecting you all, again. I really appreciate all the great stuff you've said, though, and I'm going to try really hard to respond more quickly this time. As long as Hubby's home. Or the boy's in that bubble I ordered for him.

And now, on to happy things!
Before the whole broken arm fiasco, I was actually pretty productive in my knitting. Want to see?
Yarn - Lily Sugar'n Cream Cotton Solid in green (about 3 skeins)
Needles - US 6
Size made - 2 Toddler
Started - February 10th-ish, 2008
Finished (and by finished I mean still needs buttons and eyes for the sheep) - March 7th, 2008
Made for - the Testing Pool Group on Ravelry
I love this pattern. It was really easy, but if you're not a fan of garter stitch consider yourself warned: There's a ton of it here, but as the finished project is so darn cute, it's totally worth it! And it has sheep!
Cute (not-yet-sewn-on) buttons, no?

Those sheep are kind of creepy without their eyes, aren't they?

Pattern - Felted Guitar Strap

Yarn - Paton's Merino in black and red (about 1/2 - 3/4 skein each)
Needles - US 13
Size made - fwicked long
Started - February 22, 2008
Finished - February 25, 2008
Made for - Magic Baby

This was the first time I ever knit on a bias, and it was pretty cool. This pattern was also ridiculously easy and fast to knit, which may be why it ended up being much longer than it needs to. I would recommend actually having the guitar in hand before knitting this, as it is supposed to attach to the instrument by knobby things Magic Baby's guitar does not actually have. This means I have to figure out how to attach it. Then again, as Magic Baby is one-handed at the moment, he's not exactly going to be playing concerts anytime soon.

Pre-felting

Knitting on a bias = cool diagonals

Post-felting and still ridiculously long

Pattern - Pirate Sweater by Zoe Mellor

Yarn - Baruffa Merinos Sei in black (about 4 skeins), Baruffa Merinos Sei in white (about 2 1/2 skeins), Filatura Di Crosa Zara in red (about 2 1/2 skeins)
Needles - US 7
Size made - 8 Child
Started - January 2008
Finished - (and by finished I mean still needs to be put together) March 6, 2008
Made for - Big Sister

I've also done some knitting since 'the incident' because while it's true you can't wrap kids in wool to protect them from getting hurt, you sure can wrap their hurts in wool to show your love.

Pattern - K2P2 Rib Cast Warmer (made up as I went along; stripes added as I got bored)

Yarn - Baruffa Merinos Sei in black, Filatura Di Crosa Zara in red (leftover from Pirate Sweater)Needles - US 7
Started - March 3, 2008
Finished - March 5, 2008
Made for - Magic Baby

I treated this with Lanolin to make it water-resistant (like they do with cloth diaper covers). I hope it works, but at least it will keep the cast clean, remind Magic Baby that I love him and look cute.

Okay. That's it for actual knitting, but in all the recent madness (illness, vacation, injury), I forgot to mention something cool. The new Yarnival came out a few weeks ago and my sock post was in it! Yay! I'm so excited! (And thanks for suggesting I submit it, MadMad!)

*Sigh* I think that's everything. I know this is a really long post, but that's what I get for neglecting my blogging duties for so long. I promise I'll try to be better from now on. Really. (Hey, did anyone catch that I said "duties"?)