Wednesday, April 9, 2008

genetically speaking, take two

My wonderful husband has been taking Magic Baby for walks around the neighborhood, now that the weather here isn't as ridiculously cold as it had been. Yesterday, they asked me if I wanted to go and I agreed, figuring that I could at least get some cute pictures out of the deal. And I did. At first.

Here's Magic Baby pulling his wagon along.


Here's Magic Baby and his Daddy playing Pooh Sticks in a nearby stream.

Here's my boy and his mud-covered fireman boots. Doesn't he look thrilled?

Then my husband decided to do what he does when we go for walks in the woods, which is look for bugs. Disgusting, slimy, creepy crawlies. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? Well, since I had my camera I took some pictures and figured I'd share them with all of you. No, no; no need to thank me. It's the least I could do.

Here are some nasty little bugs that roll into balls when you touch them. Not that I know from experience; my husband told me and I took his word for it.

Here's a teeny little worm that really wouldn't be too bad except that

Magic Baby actually touched it. Gross, I know.

These things (the little yellow blobs)

are ants. Millions of tiny ants just waiting for an opportunity to crawl all over unsuspecting hikers.

Here we have some salamanders, in their natural habitat

and being held by Hubby, who has no problem touching these nasty things. The freak.

Oh and this one?

This is a picture of some more of those rolly bugs and that shiny thing? That would be a slug. A big, fat, slimy slug.

Magic Baby's verdict on the whole thing: He was reluctant to hold the things we uncovered (although he did try holding a few of the slower-moving salamanders for a few seconds), but he had no problem touching them if someone else held them. He did not want to leave, and he spent most of today begging for Daddy to come home from work and take him to see more "eeewwwws" which he now tells me are "cute". I guess it really is in the genes.

Also, I've decided that maybe I won't come back as a man in my next life after all.

On the plus side, at least I had some pretty things waiting for me when I got home:

Our tulips are coming up (finally) and...

my Pay It Forward gift from Amy had arrived! That's right, I am the proud owner of an Amy Hood original book! With grid paper inside for knitting patterns! And in my favorite color, no less! And best of all- it matches my blog! A big 'Thanks you' to Amy for her excellent work! (Can you tell I'm a little excited about it?)

And now, I'm off. There's knitting and laundry and cleaning to be done. Plus, I haven't finished disinfecting Magic Baby's little fingers. I can't believe he actually touched those things.